Wednesday, February 14, 2007

More on Buildings....

In response to my post about buildings (found here) I received this very thoughtful reply. The writer agreed to let me post it. I read someone referring to the sacredness of church buildings as having "holy residue" that evoke a sense of God's presence in special/unique ways.

I think this is the most beautiful place I have ever seen
It is the church I was baptized in. It is the oldest church in the country that still holds regular services. The church sits right across the road from what was my grandparents house, and it was a huge part of their lives. My sister and I went to church 4 times a year - thanksgiving weekend, two weeks in the summer, and easter vacation - when we stayed with our grandmother. In a childhood that wasn't all that happy, going to Church Creek was as if the heavens had opened up and said "your turn". These were the grandparents we lived with for the first two years of our lives after our mother died. We went to church and we were quite the celebrities - 'the twins!' The pastor blessed us each time we visited. I have never felt more loved in my life than when I was with my grandmother.

This is the first place I knew that God existed. It truly is a beautiful church - but it is all the more beautiful to me personally because of the feelings of warmth, and security and love it evokes in me. If I could walk up that lane and sit in that church for a few minutes every day, I would be a much better person. This is a place I have 'fled to' at times in my life when things were 'too much'

So while I think what you've said is probably true, I think there's a lot to be said for having these buildings. A place of refuge and beauty as tangible reminders of God's presence.

Honestly, if you've never seen this church, it's worth a visit. You won't forget it!

No comments:

Post a Comment