Thursday, October 12, 2006

God's Generosity in my Daughter

My daughter Shannon is 4 1/2 years old. Tonight she went upstairs and brought down her piggy bank. She is asked if she could be away from her brother, where he cannot reach. So while she sat at the kitchen table, I distracted him with "Go Dog Go" repeated about a dozen times. (Since there are no places left out that are out of his reach.)

When Jacob and I came into the kitchen, she had almost completely emptied her entire piggy bank. She announced that she was taking out all of her money to send to Louisiana. To the kids there. All of it. Every penny and even the foreign coin I have long since forgotten its country of origin went into a zip lock bag. It totaled $25.05. I asked her if she wanted to write a letter. She said yes, and she dictated the following to me to write on construction paper.

Dear Little Kids:
I am giving you money. It came from my piggy bank. It is my birthday, Christmas, and Easter dollars. I want to help Louisiana with buying things. I want the adults to help the little kids buy some candy with this. Louisiana, I hope you spend all of my money. I hope you get your houses fixed. And I hope they are already repairing it. I hope some of your houses might be already fixed. I am praying for the little kids also, and all the mommies, daddies, and babies. I hope you get my wishes. I hope you already have stuff in your houses. There is a coloring on the back.
Love,
Shannon Danielle Yarnall
Jacob
Mommy


Yes, she used the word repairing.

I am totally awed by God's grace working in her. She colored and put stickers all over the back of the paper. Then she announced that the next time her piggy bank is full she wants to give it to help kids in another country.

We will mail the letter, with a cover from me explaining it, either to the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) in New York or directly to the United Methodist Conference office in Louisiana. The money will go into the plate at church on Sunday and be sent to Katrina relief through UMCOR.

What an awesome way to end the day!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome. Just awesome. What we can learn from our children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an amazing little girl... may God bless her for her generosity; she is a credit to you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Generosity, like many other things, is "caught" not "taught".

    Way to go - all of you...
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete